It’s that time of year, where comfort food takes over and baking is a weekly must. We’re headed into holiday season, with lots of gatherings of all sorts, including Thanksgiving for our neighbors to the South, and Christmas (I know I know… but it really is just around the corner). No matter the gathering, I have the perfect pie recipe that will please any sweet tooth, and is easy to make ahead and serve cool. This Butter Tart Pie with Shortbread Crust is a definite must for your next dessert spread or even Sunday nights family dinner.
Not only is this great to serve later, in fact I recommend you let it cool for a while before you do serve it, it’s also super easy to whip together at anytime.
An Easy Make Ahead Dessert, You Need to Try It
I know you’re thinking, but I have to make the crust? This crust is a simple mix of flour, sugar and butter. It takes shape very quickly and has no need for refrigeration before using it. Even better, you pre-bake it while mixing the filling. Put it in the oven for roughly 10 minutes and it will ready for the filling to be added. Just remember, this pie is sweet enough that I recommend you use a regular pie dish, skip the deep dish on this recipe. Trust me, I love my deep dish pie plate best and even I couldn’t do it, I tried (LOL).
The filling has six simple ingredients. Another reason this Butter Tart Pie is so easy to make, the ingredients are usually on hand in any house at any given time – perfect for a last minute put together when you’re out of ideas.
Once your filling is prepared and your crust has been baked, it’s time to finish making the pie. Put the filling in the crust and bake for another 25 minutes, or until set and golden brown on top. The sugar forms the perfect crust on top, just like a butter tart. I don’t tend to add raisins to this recipe, but I know some like their butter tarts with them, so I’ve included a measurement for them below as well.
I believe butter tarts are a Canadian thing. The perfect mixture of sugar and butter for this great little treat. I never ate a butter tart pre this recipe, or at least I don’t ever remember trying one, but I’m certainly glad I now have. This recipe will surely be a favorite treat – be sure to have that sweet tooth ready, it’s going to love it.
Butter Tart Pie with Shortbread Crust
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Makes 8 servings
- 1 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 1/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Raisins (optional – I don’t used them)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Mix the three ingredients, listed under crust, together in a mixing bowl until crumbly.
- Press into a greased pie dish forming up the sides and an edge for crust. (Do not use a deep dish)
- Place crust into oven and bake for 10-13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and brown sugar together until well blended.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Mix well and pour over crust, once ready.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, or until set and golden.Let cool before serving – the perfect pie to make ahead for the holidays.
I’d love to know what you thought of this Canadian cuisine inspired dessert and if you did anything different. Just let me know in the comments below, I can’t wait to hear how it turned out.